Blog Archive

Saturday, September 21, 2013

On the Stand

If you abide in my word, you are truly My disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. ~John 8:31


"Is that the truth?"

For the past couple of weeks, my teacher-voice has repeated these four words more often than I would like. For better or for worse, it seems that the novelty of third grade has begun to wear off. And let's face it: when you're stuck in the same room with the same people day after day, you're bound to get on each other's nerves once in a while. It's a simple recipe for unavoidable conflict. The injustices span far and wide: "She stepped on my fingers. He pushed me out of line. I know he was cheating 'cause his eyes were on my paper. She said I wasn't her friend. Those boys were screaming in my ear. He won't let me play with him. She stole my reading cushion and now I have no place to sit." (These quotes are inspired by real events.)

What fascinates me about our mini-episodes of classroom drama is the impulse of every child when confronted with conflict. "No, no, Miss - I didn't do that! What really happened was..." The instinct is always to shift blame, downplay, or defend. After all, who wants to be the bad guy? However, what's even more fascinating to me is their reaction to the question, "Is that the truth?" 

When push comes to shove, there is no easy way for them to answer that question.  

If they've experienced this sort of interrogation before and have mastered the skill of manipulation, they may be able to recover. Perhaps convince themselves that their new version is the valid one. But more often than not, the word truth has a powerful effect. I can picture their faces with great clarity. Some cringe and look away, some look up with those big eyes and attempt to pull the "cute card", others purse their lips and stare blankly. No matter how they react, one thing is clear: they've been caught, and they know it. 


Lately, the word truth has been a theme in my own life. 

Even as an adult, I tend to react in the same way as my third graders when confronted with my own sin. I justify my reasons for acting a certain way. It's clear that I was right and she was wrong. I conceal areas that aren't as "presentable". Maybe if I keep this a secret, it'll just go away. I work hard to keep up appearances. If he knew this about me, I'd lose my reputation. I become prideful and tend to compare my sin to others. What I did isn't nearly as bad as what she did. I even mask certain sins as "habits" or "personality traits." This is just the way I am.

If God's truth is meant to set us free, then why does it make us feel like we've been cornered with no escape? Why do we squirm in our seats and fumble for the right words?

I think it's because the truth tears down the lies that have protected us, made us feel comfortable, granted us a false sense of righteousness. It exposes us for what we really are (sinners in desperate need of grace, Mark 2:17), and at the same time tells us how God really views us (holy, blameless heirs of Christ, Romans 8:17). 

Here's the most incredible part: God knows the truth about me in light of the truth of the Gospel. He knows everything about me, and still loves me beyond comparison. Because of that, freedom is mine to claim. Freedom to choose His righteousness, instead of getting by on my own. Freedom to be vulnerable and genuine without shame. Freedom to tear down the lies and put up the truth. 

I've dedicated this year's walk with Christ to identifying specific lies that I've believed and allowing His Spirit to discern the truth. I know that a primary factor in this goal will be "abiding in His word." Please pray that my heart will grow more and more willing to carve out time in my busy schedule to spend time in His word. Also pray that it would be softened to hear His voice and accept His truth, and therefore, His transformation. 

Thank you, beloved friends, for reading and praying for this ministry!


No comments:

Post a Comment