Blog Archive

Thursday, January 10, 2013

My First Day


"Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy." Psalm 61:2-3


My first day in La Paz...beautifully frightening, extravagantly humbling.  Adventures with God are always marvelous!  The day began at 5:00 am with the airplane pilot announcing our descent toward the city.  What a relief after a long red-eye flight!  Lifting the window shade, I eagerly anticipated my first glance of this new home-away-from-home.  I was surprised to see no city lights or buildings.  The sun was just beginning to rise, a spark of orange over a sea of billowing blue clouds.  The sleeping city lay hidden beneath this blanket.  After a few moments of enjoying the scene, I noticed a dark shape beginning to form on the horizon.  It towered above the clouds, standing resolutely.  As my eyes adjusted to the early morning light, I realized that I was getting my first look at the crowning glory of the city - it's tallest peak Mount Illimani.  Standing at 21,122 feet, this giant dominates some of the most famous photographs taken of La Paz.  What an incredible way for God to show His glory!

When we landed, I was surprised again as I took my first gulp of Bolivian air.  I was aware that La Paz is named "the city that touches the sky" for good reason.  However, I had no idea that it would literally leave my breathless!  With my first breath, my mouth instantly felt sticky and dry, kind of like the feeling you get when you're nervous.  My heart began to race as I took another deliberate breath.  This had to get easier, right?

Some fun facts about elevation that I learned today:
  1. People do not grow as tall.  (Natives of La Paz have adapted their bodies to live in this high altitude environment.  They also have larger lung volume and chest dimensions to compensate for the limited supply of oxygen.)
  2. Wounds do not heal as quickly. (Less oxygen being delivered to the wound.) 
  3. Baking anything requires different ratios of ingredients. Pie in the Sky
  4. Altitude sickness is the number 1 excuse if you're feeling tired, sick, or cranky!   
Other fun facts about La Paz:
  1. It is currently summer here, which basically means the rainy season.  The trees and flowers are all in bloom, which definitely adds to the beauty of the city.  It is also between 50-60 degrees here on a daily basis.  
  2. The roads are basically organized chaos.  It's not uncommon for drivers to ignore traffic lights, stop signs, and pedestrian crosswalks.  This means that car horns are used frequently to make other drivers aware of what you're doing.  Also, seat belts are optional - which is proving difficult for me to remember on these busy streets.
  3. There are DOGS everywhere!  At every corner, every curb you'll find at least a couple of them roaming around.  On my way back from running errands at the ketal (convenience/grocery store), a yellow dog followed me all the way home.  I'd like to think it's because he was protecting me, and had nothing to do with the bags of groceries I was carrying.
There is so much more for me to learn while I am here, especially the everyday Spanish phrases and lingo that will help me become more independent.  In the meantime, I am thankful for patient teachers and mentors who are willing to guide me during this major transition.  

       

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Miss Holly! This blog is such a great idea! Thinking of you ;-D

    ReplyDelete