Blog Archive

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Jersey-Girl

Little children, let us not love in word or talk, but in deed and truth. ~1 John 3:18

Every Monday-Wednesday morning at Highlands, the faculty gathers together for a daily devotion time before the school day begins. For the past few weeks, we have been reading and discussing a book called Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman. The author, a pastor from Louisville, Kentucky, identifies instances in the Bible when Jesus poses the question, "Are you a fan or a follower?" 

That simple question can unravel into a multitude of others: 
Have you made a decision about Him or a commitment to Him? 
Do you have knowledge about Him or intimacy with Him?
 Is He one of many or your one and only? 
Are you following Him or following the rules? 
Are you self-empowered or spirit-filled?

With the best of intentions, I'm quick to check the box that says 'follower' and be done with it. After all, as a rule-follower, it's natural for me to try and justify myself before God. I view faith as a checklist and say, "Well Lord, just look at how good I am compared to them! Look at all these things I've done in Your name! Surely, I've earned the title follower." But I've missed the point. I've forgotten that Someone has already justified me. And it has nothing to do with a list.

A life surrendered to Jesus doesn't fit a formula. I may go to church and join a Bible study and read the right books and dress modestly and work at a Christian school, but those things don't make me a follower. Far from it. Without His Spirit, those things would more likely characterize me as a big fan, one who doesn't want to be caught without her jersey. 

Followers are led by the Spirit, which is much riskier than a set of rules. It's risky because it requires more of my heart and less of my own control. It means that I don't dictate the boundaries of my relationship with Jesus. It gives Him full permission to interfere with my every aspect of my life. It strips away these things that showcase my faith and reveals the true nature of my heart. And what I find is the raw, unedited truth that God's grace is more than a pat on the back. It's my lifeline. 

Yesterday I finished my first season of parent-teacher conferences. Twenty conferences in two days. To say that the mothers and fathers and grandmothers and grandfathers I met were wildly different from each other would be an understatement. Some carried pocket-Bibles, some had tattoos, some had babies, some are close to retirement. But one thing never changed: the love for each child. It was like watching the same scene play over and over again: mothers reaching across to touch their child's cheek in admiration, fathers grinning and nodding to acknowledge their delight.

 I think that's how our Father sees us every moment of every day, no matter where we stand - fan or follower. He loved us long before we were born and He chooses to love us every day. He nailed down His love for us on the Cross to say, "Yes, you really can trust Me with everything." And the most amazing part? He doesn't force us to love Him back. He doesn't rap our knuckles and demand obedience. Rather He forgives us, invites us, and empowers us to live beyond a rule book. 

"Life is like that, of course, twisty and surprising. But life with God is like that exponentially...[it] is a daring dream, full of flashes and last-minute exits and generally all the things we've said we'll never do. And with the surprises comes great hope." ~Shauna Niequist, Cold Tangerines


(Early morning view of Highlands campus - Check out those clouds! 
This really is the city that touches the sky!)

No comments:

Post a Comment