Blog Archive

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Farming 101

My son, if you receive My words and treasure up My commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding...if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. ~Proverbs 2:1-2, 4-5


I love the book of Proverbs. It's one of those books where the distinction between truth and lies, good and evil, the righteous and the wicked are as black-and-white as the ink on the pages. It's one of those books that gives practical wisdom about daily living, bursting with "if-then" clauses. If you trust in the Lord with all your heart...then He will make straight your paths (3:5-6). Piece of cake, right? At the very least, these verses make a lot of sense to a woman who likes to give out advice herself. (Note: I was about to use the term linear logic, but then realized that it sounded like a real term. And it is. Now my mind is blown. If anyone would like to explain it to me sometime over a cup of coffee, just let me know.)

I savor these verses like hard candy. They're short & sweet, but meditating on them makes the truth so much richer and more vibrant. I'm convinced that modern-day Solomon would have written his own advice column in the newspaper...and I would have been an avid follower. But the fact of the matter is this: although he may have been "the wisest man who ever lived," you and I have a gift that Solomon never had. It's the reason we don't need to carry around a pocket-version of his book to make our daily decisions. We have a compass, a Helper that stores up God's commandments, the One who teaches us how to fear the Lord. He may have been the wisest of them all, but Solomon never had the Holy Spirit.

Four days ago, I stood in front of my fifth grade class for the last time. Looking at their faces in that moment, I knew only one thing: I didn't want them to leave that classroom with knowledge alone. Even wisdom wasn't good enough. I wanted them to leave with the Holy Spirit. 


The problem is, I can't control the Spirit. That goes completely against His nature. I can do only what He has enabled me to do: plant seeds. Now I'm no farmer, but I've learned that planting is certainly a labor of love, especially for someone who is accustomed to striving and producing. It takes good soil and water and sunshine. It takes pain-staking patience and relentless hope. It takes the realization that I may never see the fruit of the harvest. 

There may be students in my class who will never house the Holy Spirit in their souls. I have to accept that. But I also know that for many, it will just take time. Time for the treasure they have hidden in their hearts to take root and grow. 

Pray that for all the days I teach at Highlands, my Father would use me as a tool for His glory, whether to sow or reap. Pray that wisdom would be replaced with seeds of faith in Christ.


Below are some photos of our last field trip to the MegaCenter Rock n' Bowl!






Here are just a couple of photos from our fifth grade graduation ceremony. 
They're off to middle school!




This year, Highlands must say goodbye to 9 teachers who are returning the States.
I will miss these dear friends and sisters in Christ!


Jess (2nd grade teacher) 


Joy (Middle School Math & Science)

Packing up the classroom! Next year I will be moving down the hall to teach third grade. 
I'm excited for a new challenge and a different environment.



Words cannot express how much your prayers have strengthened, guided, and comforted me, dear reader. With God's help, I look forward to sharing more about this incredible school and the Lord's work here in Bolivia. Many thanks & blessings!  

No comments:

Post a Comment